Docklight RS232 Terminal - RS232 Monitor
Docklight is a test, analysis and simulation tool for serial communication protocols (RS232, RS485/422 and others).
* Simulating serial protocols - Docklight can send out user-defined sequences according to the protocol used and it can react to incoming sequences. This makes it possible to simulate the behavior of a serial communication device, which is particularly useful for generating test conditions that are hard to reproduce with the original device (e.g. problem conditions).
* Logging RS232 data - All serial communication data can be logged using two different file formats: use plain text format for fast logging and storing huge amounts of data. Or create a HTML file with styled text that lets you easily distinguish between incoming and outgoing data or additional information.
* Detecting specific data sequences - In many test cases you will need to check for a specific sequence within the RS232 data that indicates a problem condition. Docklight manages a list of such data sequences for you and is able to perform user-defined actions after detecting a sequence, e.g. taking a snapshot of all communication data before and after the error message was received.
* Responding to incoming data - Docklight lets you specify user-defined answers to the different communication sequences received. This allows you to build a basic simulator for your serial device within a few minutes. It can also help you to trace a certain error by sending out a diagnostics command after receiving the error message.
Docklight will work with the COM communication ports provided by your operating system. Physically, these ports will be RS232 SUB D9 interfaces in many cases. However, it is also possible to use Docklight for other communication standards such as RS485 and RS422, which have a different electrical design to RS232 but follow the RS232 communication mechanism. Docklight has also been successfully tested with various USB-to-RS232 converters. This is a shareware listed under utility communication,utility diagnostics ports,utility development,communication tools,development,rs232 terminal,debugging category.
Keywords: error message rs422 usb to rs232 rs232 data serial communication protocols electrical design communication data communication device rs232 communication test analysis outgoing data simulation tool serial device rs232 rs485 test conditions communication standards serial protocols data sequences communication ports incoming data arcade classic game machine
Docklight Scripting is an extended edition of Docklight RS232 Terminal / RS232 Monitor. It features an easy-to-use script language, plus a built-in editor to create and run automated test jobs. A Docklight script allows you to execute all basic Docklight functions (sending predefined data sequences, detecting specific sequences within the incoming data stream, ...) and embed them in your own test code. Docklight Scripting gives you both, flexibility and simplicity. Within minutes you can build your own automated testing tools and create
* repeated test cycles (e.g. endurance testing for a motion control / drive system)
* time-controlled test jobs (e.g. sending a diagnostics command at certain times of day)
* automatic device configuration scripts (e.g. resetting a RS232 device to factory defaults before delivery)
* fault analysis tools for service and maintenance tasks (e.g. running a set of diagnostics commands and performing automatic fault analysis)
* protocol testers with automatic checksum calculations (e.g. CRC - Cyclic Redundancy Codes)
* Docklight startup scripts (e.g. automatically starting a COM port logging task at PC startup)
Docklight Scripting uses the VBScript engine, allowing you to write your tests in a simple and well-known script language. Docklight's basic functions and features are made available through a small and convenient set of script commands. The sample applications and scripts provided make getting started easy, and allow you to become productive immediately. This is a shareware listed under diagnostics,development,testing,debugging,rs232 terminal,automated testing category.
Keywords: protocol testers automated testing tools data sequences script commands terminal rs232 maintenance tasks test cycles startup scripts rs232 device configuration scripts rs232 monitor cyclic redundancy scripting fault analysis automatic fault sample applications script language jobs analysis protocol avi quicktime own games